Kia Motors America (KMA) unveiled its vision of the future of electric vehicles and it’s hot. And spicy. The HabaNiro concept is a fully-electric, all-wheel drive, four-seat wonder car with an All Electric Range (AER) of more than 300 miles, level-five autonomous mode, butterfly wing doors and more advanced tech than what helped land men on the moon. But this is no fanciful supercar that will likely never be built, but a prescient look into the future of mobility where automobiles will seamlessly integrate design, capability, usefulness and creativity. If the name is already too much, you won’t be able to handle the ridiculous details about the crossover compact SUV shown at the New York International Auto Show Wednesday.
First, the not-so-hot-and-spicy specs: it’s an all-electric, all-wheel drive, four-seater with 300-mile range and full autonomy capability with butterfly-wing doors.
While the HabaNiro is just an idea, it could pave the way for future electric vehicles beyond the Niro, which recently went all electric after debuting as a hybrid vehicle a few years ago.
The outside of the HabaNiro naturally includes “lava red” panels on its sides and a “shark’s snout” grille up front with what Kia calls a slit-like gap with glossy black aluminum “teeth.” The wheels are widely set, so the car looks pretty stocky.
Inside the car, it’s very techy, with a retractable steering wheel for when the car is at maximum Level-5 autonomy and the occupants need more space. Instead of a rearview mirror, a 180-degree rear view display pops up whenever you glance in the area where a mirror usually is.
An eye tracking and emotion reader, shown at CES, follow the driver and judge their emotional state. The car can then change based on whether the driver seems angry, happy, or annoyed.
Kia says it won’t use this technology to manipulate drivers (like the car deciding to take you to a taco shop when you seem hungry), but it shows the potential to combine AI with cars.
Kia Design Center America
- Length: 4430 mm/ 171 inches
- Height: 1600 mm/ 63 inches
- Width: 1955 mm/ 77 inches
- Wheelbase: 2830 mm/ 111.5 inches
- Powertrain and battery
- e-AWD supplied by two electric motors, fore and aft
- 300+ mile All Electric Range (AER)
- Advanced state of the art battery technology
- Exterior Features
- Snowdrift Pearl White tri-coat exterior paint
- Satin Metallic Granite Grey cladding
- Anodized “Lava Red” aero panel
- 265/50R20 tires
- Interior Features
- Heads-Up Display Features:
- Navigation system with augmented reality graphic directions
- 180° rearview video display in place of physical mirrors
- Full windshield entertainment video system with surround sound
- 3D speed readout display
- Full width acrylic touch panel with Sensory Light Feedback (SLF) with Technical Option Sharing System (TOSS) feature provides interaction with HUD
- AI-based R.E.A.D. technology
- Eye Tracking System (ETS) enables 180° rearview video display
- Heads-Up Display Features:
About Kia Motors America
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Kia Motors America continues to top quality surveys and is recognized as one of the 100 Best Global Brands and 50 Best Global Green Brands by Interbrand. Kia serves as the “Official Automotive Partner” of the NBA and offers a complete range of vehicles sold through a network of nearly 800 dealers in the U.S., including cars and SUVs proudly assembled in West Point, Georgia.*